Alexis from The Motifs talks tea, coffee & Teenage Fan
1. Myspace: www.myspace.com/themotifs
2. Location: Melbourne (but in Japan right
3. Working method: First I write a melody,
then I make up words (just enough so that the song is not
just one long aaah or oooh). Then I record the guitar and
singing. After that I just add more things, like harmonies,
keyboard, glockenspiel and out of time claps. Usually I’m
too lazy to make up more than one verse worth of lyrics so
the songs tend to be quite short.
4. Descibe your music: It’s difficult
to translate sound into words, especially your own sound.
I think my music is melody and harmony based. It’s mostly
minute-long home-recorded pop songs I suppose. I don’t
spend much time on lyrics, because I’m not good at expressing
myself that way. Sometimes I think the only reason I write
songs is because I can’t find any other way to say something.
6. Advice to others:It depends on your motivation
for making music I guess. If your aim is to make good music,
that you can feel proud of, then your own opinion is the one
7. Favourite gig: Teenage Fan Club or Belle
8. Where do you make music: At home. Not
a home studio. Just a computer, microphone and a fine array
of defective instruments.
9. Tea or coffee: Ah, that’s like making
me choose between my children (not that I have any). I love
10. Shoes or trainers: Shoes. In Australia,
trainers are people that yell at you to make you get fit.
The Motifs Features